Important - New Standards in Guttering
Regulatory requirements for overflow in eaves gutters systems
As all professional plumbers are aware as of 1/1/16 the VBA are enforcing AS3500.3 (2015)
What Does This Mean?
In simple terms they are requiring gutter installation be able to cope with 1 in 100 year rainfall events and prevent flow back into the eaves. Previously acceptable methods, such as slotted gutters, are NOT compliant.
VBA - Overflow in eaves gutters PDF
What Does This Mean For The Plumber?
The VBA has provided several options for plumbers to make an installation compliant:
- Hang the gutter lower – The top of the bead must be 20mm below the top of the fascia to allow water to overflow safely over the bead.
- Use a 10mm spacer – This creates a gap behind the gutter so water can overflow freely.
- Flashing – Install a flashing behind the gutter, running up the roof to increase the apparent height of the fascia board, allowing water to overflow the bead
The Pros And Cons Of VBA Solutions
Hanging Gutter Lower
Cheapest simplest method
May not always be achievable with other fixtures on the fascia board (eg power entry)
Customers will not accept because tile noses will be fully exposed
Unhappy customer = no payment
Using 10mm Spacer
Moderately quick and easy to install
Extra money and time
Needs to be full perimeter of job
Could be a fire hazard, trapping litter in the gap
Customers negative acceptance of seeing the gap and the effect it would have when filled with spiders/leaf litter etc
Reduces available roof overhang and may cause dripping and subsequent problems for customer/plumber
Minimum cost (may not be needed around full perimeter)
Reliable, practical solution
Slight increase in cost for installation
Our Preferred Method: Supaflash
Some of the methods offered by VBA may not be very practical or acceptable to home owners or buildings. We have developed Supaflash to be our preferred installation method to comply with AS3500.3 (2015).
The Benefits To The Installer
- Compliant – Protects your licence and livelihood.
- Neat – It does not change the appearance of the gutter, tiles or roofline.
- Practical – In 3 metre lengths it’s easy to have onboard for when needed.
- Affordable – May not be needed around full perimeter, and with the combination of Supaflash and Supaquad hf the required height can be further reduced to 12mm, reducing the amount of Supaflash required.
Pricing – Supaflash Guttering
$64.50/Pack (30lm) + GST
Supaflash Offer - Click here